Tuesday, June 28, 2005

the virtue of taking time off...

This weekend I suffered a minor knee injury. I couldn't take it because I'm already seeing a chiropractor for some back injuries I'm nursing. Luckily, while getting a much-needed adjustment, the doc was able to look at my knee. Thank god it isn't as bad as I thought. Everything is in place and is strong. However, he explained that because I've been running so much, the cartilage was irritated and I just need to lay off the running for a little bit. He also advised icing the knee.

Therefore, I'm backing out of this Saturday's 8 mile run. I'll do a maintenance run either tomorrow or Friday just to get me back into the groove of things. However, I'm taking some time off. I'm surprised because the doctor was right. I just needed some rest. My knee was hurting on Sunday and Monday and right now I'd say I'm at 85-90% strength. Yea.

I'm learning that sometimes you just have to back out of an intense situation and think about the bigger fish to fry. Although I'm bummed about not running the 8 mile, I really have to focus on the upcoming 20 mile. That will be one of many tests for me. I'm also realizing that I need to change up my cross training schedule a bit and incorporate more strength training in my legs. This is something I try to avoid because my legs are already monstrous on their own. (I tell you, it's a total blow to my female ego when men aspire to have the "manly" legs I possess.) Oh well... you gotta do what you gotta do. So wish me luck and I'll keep you posted on my progress.

No comments: