Tuesday, August 02, 2005

getting back on my own two feet

This weekend I missed the 23 mile run because I was in LA for a friend's wedding. In truth, this was a blessing in disguise. If I ran the 23 miles and couldn't make it to the end, I would have been devastated. Instead, I ran as many miles as I could to make up for what I missed. Although I intended to run a full 23 miles during the week, I only made 17 miles because, as stated before, I developed a massive blister (again) on my left foot.

Here are some notes about blisters in case any of you decide to run high mileage. If you have a large blister, I recommend that you shower and stuff before you decide to nurse it. When you nurse your blister, try to do this toward the evening so you don't have to walk around on a raw foot. I'm not sure if my tactics are recommended, I just find that this is what works for me. I find that big blisters (I'm talking quarter size and larger) have to be popped, drained and then cut open. It's not a pretty sight at all, but this promotes the best healing. Let it air out at night and put some neosporin on it to help it heal and keep the bacteria out (also, keep the area clean!). If you're a diabetic like me, caring for blisters is totally important. During the day, if you have to walk around, protect the blister with medicated blister pads. This ensures some cushioning and makes walking a little more bearable. Also, it seals off all the dirt that can infect your blister. You might also have to use moleskin around (NOT directly on the blister - OUCH!) the area for extra cushion. At night, clean and let the blister breathe. In a few days, your foot will be functional again.

I've been told various things about blister prevention. I hear taping your foot with moleskin will prevent the blisters (along with proper shoes, socks and body glide where the mole skin isn't present). Also, I read somewhere having an adequate amount of sodium in the body helps. And that's my lecture on blisters.

The running has been so-so. I'm trying to get excited again, but the blisters have been frustrating. I need to regroup and refocus. Hopefully, I'll be out of this slump soon.

1 comment:

Animae said...

This is kinda gross, but can I have a lecture on bunions. I think I'm starting to develop one from the funky movements from dance. i'm not used to being on my toes as much as back in college. :-P