Tuesday, August 16, 2005

getting ready for 26 miles

Hello all!

This weekend I didn't do the 8 mile short because I was at a wedding. (A lovely one at that.) Therefore, I made up the mileage today by running a little over 7 miles at Coyote Hills. It was a terrible run. I thought I figured out the blister thing, but I didn't. I have a small one on the right foot - even though I taped up and everything! Today I learned a number of lessons...

Lesson One: The importance of socks.
I finally figured out my brand of socks. They're called Balga and for some reason, they wick away moisture the best for me. Thus, causing less blisters. Yea. Now I know that any run over 3 miles I have to use my balga socks.

Lesson Two: Be patient with your body.
The team and I are gearing up for the practice marathon on Saturday. Today's run went horrible because I ran it later than I wanted to (I scheduled this for Sunday, but wasn't healthy enough (or just too lazy) to do it.). An hour and fifteen minutes into the run, I had to stop and take a short break and started walking for about two five minute rounds. Then, I started running again. After about a mile, I stopped and walked the rest of the way to my car because I could feel the blister forming and decided that running 26 miles with a healing blister was not a good idea.

Lesson Three: A run is only as successful as your mind lets it.
I don't know what's going on in my head right now. However, I feel like I could have had a better run if I was more focused. Problem is, I don't know what's clouding my energy right now. ugh...

Lesson Four: I can't run a marathon alone.
Marathon training is so much better with other people. I think today's run went sour because (like most of my maintanence runs) I ran a long distance alone. Running long distances is so much better with company. The runbutans have taught me that marathons really are a team sport.

Lesson Five: Maybe it's fear.
I never thought I'd make it this far. Although I'd hate to sound ultra cliche-ish, maybe coming to the end is freaking me out and I can't help but think about what this process symbolically means in my life. If I don't finish the marathon, will that foreshadow my failures in life? Today when I ran, I was trying to get in extra mileage (the normal route I take is about six miles), so I took an additional route that I've never taken before. I didn't know where I was going or where it was going to lead me, but I just kept running. Something inside me clicked and I decided I didn't want to run anymore. I didn't want to know where this path was leading (also, I had to watch for time). So I turned around and later nursed my injuries. It's not that I failed at this run, I just realized that although my reasons for doing this marathon are all noble, I haven't figured out what the deep-seeded reason for completing this marathon is for me. Not knowing is freaking me out. Then again, maybe it's fear.

On a lighter and much happier note, the donations have been pouring in and I have raised over $2000 so far. YEA!!! Keep those checks coming and don't forget to tell your friends and neighbors about this great cause! Special thanks to my mom for mailing out all those envelopes for me (even though she didn't want to do it) and my Auntie Lily for reminding people to turn in their checks. They have been my donation cheerleaders. Yea for moms and aunties:)

Send out prayers that I survive the run on Saturday:)

No comments: