Monday, May 07, 2007

i deserve an award....

There should be some kind of award for people like me. Only a damn genius like myself can manage to sprain her ankles not once, not twice, but THREE TIMES in less than one year. The first happened last August when I was walking out of my favorite restaurant, Semo Sushi. There is a weird dip right outside their door, which they tried to cover up with a carpet. But my shoe and my feet's tendency to over pronate caught the bad end of the dip and I fell down and sprained my ankle. This was a really bad sprain that put me out for over a month.

The second happened in February, right before Valentine's Day. Finally, yesterday was the third time I sprained my ankle. I was working in San Francisco and as I was crossing the street, my shoe caught the bad end of a pothole of sorts and BAM! I landed flat on my ass in the middle of downtown San Francisco (right in front of the fcuk store. fcuk is right!). Did anyone bother to stop and see if I was okay? Absolutely not. Fcukin' San Francisco! Oddly enough, I wasn't embarrassed. I was angry because its my THIRD ankle sprain in NINE months! What the hell is this? What do the ankle gods have against me?! And why do they always strike when I'm ready to go full throttle on my workouts?! UGH! (Note: This time I sprained my left ankle. At least the ankle gods are kind enough to have these sprains alternate: left ankle, right ankle, left ankle.)

My chriropractor suggested I do a shoe check. Since I'm an over pronator, I have to check the wear and tear on my shoes because the outside soles tend to wear out pretty quickly. When that happens, my ankles are more prone to turn in and BAM! I fall on my ass and sprain my ankles. I'm going to finish my shoe check tonight. I already had to throw away my favorite slippers (because they were worn way way down). Plus, I invested in a pair of casual tennies to help me recover. My right ankle (from the February sprain) isn't 100%. I'm used to being really fexible, and (now) with both ankles recovering, the fexibility issues are really getting to me. Anyway....

It's no secret that I've been slacking on my training. With Gladys in town and the various get-togethers and catching up sessions, I tend to get lazy and completely slack on my workouts. So I've been lazy for the past two weeks. But last Friday I mapped out my workouts and have been mapping out my meal plans and actually cooking. I'm realizing that I need to take my health seriously and stop making lame excuses. Small steps are better than no steps.

So I was completely psyched about training on Monday. But Sunday's fall screwed that up. On the bright side, I can walk and the sprain isn't as bad as the previous two. There's minor swelling and pain. I should be up and running (or more appropriately, walking) by Wednesday. I thought I'd push it by taking a walk today, but common sense set in and I realized that it's better to rest for two days than be out for a month because I was being stupid. So anyway....

Yes, there should be an award for people like me.

1 comment:

Gladys said...

holy crap! that's some bad luck, that. and, hello, stinkin' san franciscans! what the hell? hope the ankle gets better soon, hon. i'm sure the hot guys at the studio are all missing you!