Saturday, September 08, 2007

jiggle.

So yesterday I was choppin' it up with some folks after yoga and belly dance. Among the list of riveting topics was running because one of the gals was going to do the Nike Women's Marathon in October.

One of the things we talked about was how running made us gain, instead of lose weight. When I did the marathon, I gained 10 pounds. Although people told me that I looked like I lost weight, the reality was I actually gained weight. I jokingly told the gals and my yoga teacher that, "Underneath all this fat is some lean mean muscle. The fat is just there so you all can feel normal."

We had a good laugh about my silly joke. But my yoga teacher chimed in and said, "It's true. I believe that about you, Joanne." Huh? She continued, "Yes, when I see you dance, I'm always expecting to see more jiggling from you. But I don't see as much flesh moving. It tells me that you have a really solid build underneath."

Yeah. I know this is a really odd thing to share. But my yoga/belly dance teacher's comments were striking to me in a few ways. (1) She paid more attention to my body than I thought she did. (2) She understood and saw my body in ways that even I don't see it. This is what I appreciate about her.

So yes. Though I bitch and moan about my fleshy body all the time. I'm glad to know that someone thinks that I'm not nearly as fleshy as I think I am. Make sense? Hmph.

No comments: