Thursday, November 22, 2007

happy thanksgiving

Happy Turkey Day All!

I just wanted to wish you and the wonderful people in your lives (as well as mine) a fantastic Thanksgiving. Okay... so the origins of this holiday are totally embedded in the imperial takeover of this country and the genocide of Native peoples. Therefore, it's not exactly the greatest holiday on earth. However, I'd like to take the time to tell people to gain some of that knowledge. (End rant.)

Though this is a holiday of abundance and good eats, please be mindful and continue to take care of your health. There is nothing more important than that. I went to an early morning spin class just so I could take bites of everyone's dishes without feeling guilty:) A big THANK YOU to Warren for teaching class today. You know what to do, sir. BUY THAT IPOD! Also, to show my family that I truly care about their health and well-being, I opted to make healthier veggie side-dishes. Feast your eyes on this!

Instead of a creamy, gooey, crunchy green bean casserole, I decided to make a green bean salad. It's quite tasty if I do say so myself. It's made with mustard, garlic aoli, balsamic vinegar, shallots and olive oil. The green beans were blanched to maintain some crunch.

Everyone loves mashed potatoes - including me! However, to mix it up a bit, I made a cheesy cauliflower mash that I seasoned with chicken stock and a touch of fat free sour cream for that creamy goodness. I made veggie dishes just so that the family could have some non-meat items because well, you know how Filipinos do it! I found the recipes on the food network site and made adjustments as needed. (If you know me, I never follow recipes exactly. Also, this photo is not in its final stages. Before it hits the table, I'm going to heat it up and garnish with fresh chives just to make it extra pretty!)

Finally, for dessert, I made guinataan. I love making this when it's cold! If you haven't tasted my guinataan, I feel sorry for you. You haven't lived. For this batch, I made it with fresh ube, yams and plantains. As always, it's filled with the gooey mochiko balls and langka. Apologies. There are no substitutions here. It's filled with all the traditional yummy goodness. For health's sake, eat slowly and in small dosages. If any of you live locally, give me a call and I'll share a container with you. I made a HUGE pot for all to enjoy!

Cheers to good health for the holidays!

No comments: