Wednesday, November 07, 2007

short, simple day

Today's workout: one hour of yoga. I couldn't find it in me to wake up early enough for CrossFit. Plus, I just don't like the idea of heavy sweating before yoga. Call me a snot. This week balancing workout time with interview and "get your shit done" time has been challenging. This week, I'm learning the art of just listening to your body. Being forgiving, and learning to adjust.

I'm in the thick of research right now. I've been conducting on average 2-4 interviews a week (more like 4 interviews per week the past three weeks). Though they don't seem like much, I'm always mentally exhausted and rejuvenated when I meet people who share so much of themselves with me. It's a great experience. My only regret is the red tape at Berkeley. I could have been conducting these interviews a long time ago! Oh well. Coulda, shoulda woulda.

Anyway... with all that's on my plate, making time to workout has been challenging. But I'm hanging in there. I've decided that not going to CrossFit on as regular a basis as I'd like does not make me a panty. Counting an hour of yoga as my daily workout does not make me a panty either.

Notes (to myself) about the Challenge Restart: I swear, figuring out when to take the new Byetta I'm taking is hassle enough. Before meeting Lupe for dinner, we ran into Jorge and Alex and started chatting with them in front of Tully's. Knowing I had to take my Byetta shot, I had to briefly excuse myself while "shooting up" in a corner. I can administer the shot in my tummy, upper arm or upper thigh. I chose the tummy then because it was the most discreet. Doing something like that also means being very public about your diabetes. I don't mind it, but I don't want to make people feel uncomfortable.

A note to you Byetta users: (cuz y'all would understand this lingo) always reset to the right direction arrow after taking the shot. It makes it so that there are no air bubbles in the pen and that you're not wasting your medication. Lesson learned for me. After taking the shot, there would be extra liquid coming out of the pen, meaning that there was medication that didn't make it into my system. To avoid this, reset to the right direction arrow.

I used up two cheat meals today. For lunch I had a decadent meal with an interviewee, who was nice enough to treat me to such a meal. This is the thing about interviewing people who have more money than you. When they're nice, they're really generous! Yes, my portion sizes are smaller. It's the Byetta kicking in.

My dinner cheat was unintentional. Lupe and I had pho. Pho has noodles. I ate away.

I don't feel guilty.

No comments: