Wednesday, February 13, 2008

international travel and diabetes: medications

One of the most difficult things about preparing for this trip to the Philippines is squaring off all the doctor's appointments. However, they're almost done (the last being tomorrow). As I mentioned before, traveling as a diabetic isn't easy. For diabetes management, I use Metformin (Glucophage to some of you) and Byetta. I've talked about Byetta before. For those of you who are diabetic and are traveling internationally, here are some things you should know:

- It's best that you travel with ALL your medication. I'm gone for three months, so I have three months worth of meds. This should be carried with you at ALL times on the plane. You really don't want to risk losing your meds to check-in luggage.

- With all the airport security issues you have to deal with, it's best to carry a note from your doctor explaining that you need to carry your meds with you. Byetta is a liquid medicine that needs to be refrigerated until you actually break open the pen. Though security guidelines allow for medical supplies, it's still a good idea to bring a doctor's note. For me, I have to keep the Byetta cool, so the note will excuse the gel pack I need in order to keep this cool.

- For those of you who use meds that need to be cool (after breaking open the Byetta, it can stay at room temperature; unfortunately, room temperature in the Philippines is so not room temperature in Calfornia), I recommend in investing in a FRIO wallet. They're great because they can keep your meds cold for about 2-3 days. All you have to do is soak it in water to activate it. A great investment for me!

- Carry a copy of your prescriptions. In case you happen to lose your meds, you can go to the local pharmacy with your prescription. You may have to pay a pretty penny, but your insurance should cover it when you get back. Check with your respective insurance carriers.

- If your doctor has it, do sign up for an email communication with her. She'll be able to answer your questions about anything that happens to come up.


That's about it. I'll post more as I start to travel. Just remember, BE PREPARED! Diabetes is no joke - especially overseas. When I was in high school, and uncle was visiting from the Philippines for an extended stay. He ended up passing away while he was here. My brother recently told me that one of the causes of his passing was that he didn't have his diabetes meds. This really struck a chord with me. So I'm preparing!

No comments: