Wednesday, August 20, 2008

rest day

I missed my workouts because my mentor is in town and we really needed to meet. It was fate because I am exhausted. I think it's my eating. I'm not getting enough nutrients and am in the market for a good vitamin supplement. Liquid preferably, and one that doesn't break the bank. I haven't taken vitamins in about a month because none are suitable to my body's needs. I'd share details, but you really don't want to know.

Anyway... this brings me to my main point. If you're training for something and your body is simply tired, just rest. On a rare occasion, I tend to feel guilty for resting. These days, I've been better at letting go of that guilt. Granted, I didn't workout much when I was in LA, so I should be fresh and ready to go. But I think the seven mile run wiped me out. Again, odd because it was only seven miles. Oh well... In the spirit of resting, Freddy posted the following thoughts about rest days. Enjoy and I'll see you all at the gym or trail tomorrow!

YESSSS! It's rest day! Why is the rest day important? Rest is important to muscle repair, as discussed in yesterday's post. More importantly (and in my very humble opinion) rest is important for the mind! When you become more acclimated to the Crossfit workout , you will throw yourself at it harder and harder each time. The mental fortitude needed to give yourself up physically for three days straight is just as draining as the workout itself. The rest day is your day to get your mind fresh again. Think about that anxiety you get when you first read what the workout is. We often experience what I like to call "The Dread"." Nervousness, anxiety, making up excuses on why you don't need to workout that day.... "The Dread" can kick your ass. We need that rest day to get a break from "The Dread." I don't know about you, but I never experience "The Dread" while I am contemplating sitting on my couch and watching "So You Think You Can Dance" reruns on my TIVO.

You may be asking, "What about making up the workout I missed?" No worries. You can throw yourself at the WODs for four days straight. I have cycles like that myself sometimes. It happens. I have been Crossfitting for awhile now and I am at a comfortable spot physically where lately if I miss a workout, sometimes I don't even bother to make it up. Trying to maintain the 3 on/1 off cycle can take over your life. Work with it. Everyone is different both mentally and physically. Play around with your workout cycles and learn what works best for you!

No comments: