Friday, August 15, 2008

too many lives, not enough luggage.

Note: I wrote this last week but didn't have the corresponding photos. Here they are now. Ta-da!

I’m in Southern California this week. I’m gone for about eight days. Not that I didn’t know this about myself. But this trip totally confirms it. I lead too many lives and planes these days don’t allow me to carry enough luggage for it.

There’s a lot on my plate these days. First off, I get to play Fierce Make-Up Artist to my dear friend’s baby sister. I’ve known Marie since she was in middle school and a proud member of the "V" club! Don't ask me what the "V" club is. It makes me twitch. Now I get to do her makeup for her wedding. You know what this means? I’m fuckin’ old. Boo. You know what else this means? I get to test my skillz and rock out some cool makeup looks. Yea!

Next, I have to play Fierce Nerd because I’m in the midst of editing a book chapter. Yeah. That’s right. I’m in another book. The anthology is about skin color hierarchy in the US and around the world. If I recall correctly, I’m either the only grad student or only one of two grad students on the project. Yeah. I’m jazzed. (Insert me poppin’ my collar.) I'm also happy because though I'm a total procrastinator, I got all the stuff I needed to edit in on time. (Who said academics don't know how to keep a deadline?! Um. I did. Yeah. Sometimes I can be wrong too.)

Finally, I play Fierce Diabetic Fathlete. Yeah. Training for The Human Race and the Nike Women’s Half Marathon puts me in constant training mode. I can’t just pack regular clothes. I have to pack my training gear (and meds which isn’t a big thing because it’s second nature to me). I thought preparing for three months in the Philippines was hard. Nope. A week in LA is hard because I need to plan my workouts accordingly. If you know me, I’m the kind of gal that hates to workout when out of town. But I have to be disciplined and learn that training is a lifestyle that I now have to pack with me. Damn!

Too many lives. Not enough luggage. It sucks to be me.

No comments: