Friday, September 05, 2008

a few shout-outs


I forget where I lifted this photo. It must have been on the One World site or the main CrossFit site. Anyway.... This is Jolie demonstrating proper form while doing an air squat. In this photo, they're talking about proper knee alignment. I wanted to bring this photo to your attention because today I had the pleasure of going to the CrossFit Level II certification that One World hosted. When there's a level II cert, the studio needs volunteers to come in so that hopeful level II instructors can show how well they can teach some of the basic weight lifting movements.

I must say that I am so glad that I went. Before I go off on how great the sessions were, I want to send a few shout outs to the folks I got to meet today. First off, a big HELLO AND GREAT TO SEE YOU to Laura K. and Eric T. I miss you guys and it was great to see you there. Yea for us cool volunteers!

My group I shout outs go to: Laura from Hotlanta, Mike from San Diego, Dave and Kimberly from Texas, and of course, the totally awesome CrossFit goddess Nicole. My group II shout outs go to: Brett, Dave, Craig, Ernesto and Mike. (I think I got everyone. If not, big apologies.)

So what do they make you do for these certs? Basically, as a volunteer, you're a crash test dummy. Each hopeful level II instructor has to illustrate that she/he can teach a specific movement which is assigned to them by the grader (the grader is usually a CrossFit God/Goddess like Nicole). So your job as a volunteer is to just be there and learn. It's a great thing to go to because you get to work on the movements in a no-pressure environment. You don't even have to lift anything heavier than a wooden dowel. Granted, it's tiring because you are doing the movements over and over again. But you have people watching you, correcting your form and explaining step by step exactly what you should do. Every now and again, you'll be asked to stand in the center of the circle and do the movement. Again, the hopeful level II instructor will be there to tell you what you're doing right and what you're doing wrong. (I think I was called to the center circle about four times). I learned a lot and hope to go to the next level II cert we host. I was there for about 2.5 hours and I did work up a sweat. Also, I met some great CrossFitters. It was fantastic.

In the spirit of fathleticism, I'm trying to be kinder to my body. I admit that I sometimes fail. While in LA recently, Mae said that other than One World, she most likely wouldn't go to a CrossFit studio because 1) CrossFit is like a cult (which I won't deny) and 2) it seems a little "hard core" and intimidating. I totally understand. It can be and it is. I felt that way when I walked on to the floor today. For a moment, I felt like the fat kid who was picked last for dodge ball. When we separated into groups, I jokingly said, "Oh no. My group is going to plead, 'I don't want to train the fat girl!'" Then Laura turned around and gave me a scolding. I know. I shouldn't have done that. It was my defense mechanism.

Turns out, everyone was really cool. I got to understand what I'm good at (such as my flexibility) and learned how to tweak and improve my weaknesses (like my hip extensions and explosiveness, making sure to create a "violent" movement during the heavier lifting). CrossFit is hard and intimidating. But I think if you learn to own your time in the studio and understand that you're there just for you, then things aren't so bad. Especially today, I learned that the instructors really want you to do well and push yourself. That's why the system has so many cert levels. They care about producing quality instructors. Another humbling thing was realizing that these uber-CrossFitters are still learning everyday. They all have their strengths and their weaknesses. CrossFit is a process and like any process, progress takes time and patience - even in for the Gods and Goddesses.

Before doing the volunteer work, I did an hour of yoga. I missed my maintenance run yesterday. I'm debating on whether I should do a 4 miler today. Hmph. We'll see. I'm up for ten miles this weekend. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Animae said...

2.5 Hours! Wow! Sounds like a great day. I'm glad you have this outlet.

j-ro said...

Yeah. I had fun. The CrossFit people were really cool.