Sunday, September 07, 2008

in double digits now!


Today I ran ten miles. Ten miles is a long stretch to run.To mark the occasion, Margaret and I ran the ten miler in San Francisco. This is where I used to run when I was training for the marathon. I didn't realize how long it's been. The marathon was three years ago. Wow. It took me this long to go back. It's good to change it up a little bit. The terrain was different - the weather, the hills, it was different. But I loved the run. Though foggy, it was beautiful. I loved it.


In true San Francisco style, you never know what to expect. When we arrived at Crissy Field, there was a slew of people (mostly women) doing a breast cancer walk. Though it was 7am, there were people everywhere. On the way to the Warming Hut there are all these cool globes to look at. And yes, even the strange guy who tried to run with me to start a conversation on the bridge was slightly amusing. I love the city and I can't wait to get to know it better.

The 10 mile run took me over two hours to finish. My pace was 13:17 per mile, faster than I was anticipating because it felt so slow - especially with all the hills and things. It was cold, but I have to remember that no matter how cold it is, I need to just wear a long sleeve top because I get warm so easily. I hated having to wear a jacket around my waist for the run. That, along with the hydration belt felt like there was too much to carry. I firmly believe that when running these long miles, it's best to wear as little as possible. Overall, it was a great run.

2 comments:

Animae said...

You're my workout hero :-)

j-ro said...

Aww. Thanks Mae. Sometimes I think I'm just crazy!