Wednesday, March 18, 2009

seven, motherf--ker!


This photo has nothing to do with Austin. Instead, it has to do with the number seven. In case any of you were wondering, James B. will on occasion say, "Joanne, it's seven..." and I'll finish the sentence by saying, "motherf--ker!" The story behind that is this...

Before CrossFit came to be, Freddy used to teach 6:30am Fit-to-Fight, which I used to take. One day we had to do a drill where it was ten rounds of bouncing a weighted ball. It was two movements - bouncing it overhead on the wall and then bouncing it from your chest to the wall as quickly as possible. Fifteen seconds each movement, making it 10 thirty second rounds. Get it? (If not, I can demo it for you when I see you at the gym.) Anyway... when we were on round seven (with shoulders burning beyond belief), Freddy yelled, "Doing great guys, we're on round six!" I looked at the person next to me (I think it was Czar) asking if Freddy was wrong because I swear we were on round seven! So I kept saying, "Seven. Seven. Round seven." Then I blurted, "Seven, motherf--ker! Seven!" Most people dropped their weighted balls and started laughing. Eric T. then turned to Freddy and said, "Damn. That kind of turned me on!"

You had to be there to find this funny.

So anyway... that's why the number seven has a special place in my heart.

Warm-up
Run 1.1 miles
Jump roping
stretching

CrossFit One World WOD
NINE rounds of:
20 sumo deadlift high pull 20#
20 squat kicks on bag
Run 200 meters
20 Abmat sit-ups

Joanne's Final Time - N/A

Notes (to myself) about this workout: I should point out that tonight I did a KravFit class, as opposed to a CrossFit class. When I saw Chong's WOD, I thought, "There's no way in hell I'm going to do that!" I can barely do the movements (snatch with a full squat, handstand push-ups, double unders). Granted, everything can be scaled down, but it was just too overwhelming. Since there's no scheduled 7:15 class on Wednesdays, I decided to do the KravFit class and drag Shannon and Lisette with me!

KravFit is CrossFit inspired, but it's a different kind of workout because they're generally long. CrossFit WODs are done in around 20 minutes. KravFit uses mostly body weight movements and lasts at least 35 minutes or so. Today's KravFit was originally ten rounds, but since I was so slow, I cut my last round. Still, I was happy with my workout because I maintained form as best as I could. Damn! I miss kicking the bag!

Big kudos to Lisette and Shannon for pulling me through my ninth round. I don't know how I pulled 20 straight sit-ups. As I mentioned just recently, the energy you give is the energy you receive. This is what makes One World such a great home. Love it!

No comments: