Wednesday, March 11, 2009

the sucka' WOD!

When I'm not at One World desperately gasping for air and dear life after near-death WOD, I'm a grad student at Berkeley who is currently working on a Ph.D. Yeah. That's right. I'm an aspiring university professor who hopes to shape young minds and inspire them to make the world a better place. [Insert cue to Whitney Houston's "The Greatest Love of All."] Anyway... The academy is a very different world with an entirely different set of expectations. One of them is to "publish or perish." So here's my newest thing. I wrote chapter four of a new anthology that just came out. We launched the book Shades of Difference at University Press Books in Berkeley last week. A very big thank you to all of you who came out to support the event. (Extra special kudos to Lisa and her niece!) This photo is of the current window display and an announcement of the event. (And that's me in the reflection wearing my extra special rainy day hat!)

Warm-up
N/A

CrossFit One World WOD: Sucka!
Run 5k

Joanne's Final Time - 43 and some odd minutes

Notes (to myself) about this workout: So this was the super secret WOD that Freddy over-hyped today. Boo! I'm a distance runner. Granted, I'm not a fast runner. But at a good pace, a bottle of water, and a fully-charged ipod, I'm good to go. If I run with others, my mission isn't necessarily to smoke them. Rather, I like letting people know that they can run long distances. Simple as that. I ran with my gals Lisette and Shannon. They rock. To conquer the distance, I suggested we do a 4:1 pace - four minutes running, one minute walking. It makes the run easier to handle. Running with others and chatting away erases the misery.

I'm glad that the days are longer and the weather is getting warmer. Well, I assume the weather is getting warmer. I've been working from home to save money and with the poor insulation at my place, it's freakin' colder inside the house than outside! I'm talking like twenty degrees colder! I left twice today to take a "defrost" break. Bleh. Anyway, I'm glad it's warmer because I'm planning on charging the Sportband and hitting the trails real soon. Any takers?

No comments: