Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter!

Last night I ran into "The Beast," my former workout pal when I was part of the "Breakfast Club." (Yeah. Now the 6:30am CrossFit crew is simply known as "The 6:30 crew." Boo.) "The Beast" now does Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Unfortunately, we don't get to interact with the BJJ folks because they're totally hard core. (Seriously. I have to pass them by on the way to the bathroom and I make sure I look down and avoid eye contact. I always feel like if I make eye contact, I'm going to turn to stone. ha ha!) In terms of the CrossFit "Breakfast Club," it doesn't take a genius to figure out who Judd Nelson was. I miss the days when I would try to figure out if I was Ally Sheedy or Molly Ringwald. Sigh.

Warm-up
less than 500 meter row
stretching for the WOD
(I came in late because of last night's shenanigans. I'm still exhausted. Bleh.)

CrossFit One World WOD
Clean (I reached my max at 93#. Wa-hoo!)

Front Squat 83#

Notes (to myself) about this workout: Today was the oly lifting class. My hands hurt from lifting the heavy weight. I'm getting those ugly CrossFit hands. Bleh. When I started the class, I thought I'd give myself til the fall to decide if I wanted oly lifting shoes.

Um. I want them now. But they're pricey, so I'll have to settle for lifting barefoot. You know what that means? I'm going to have to keep my toes cute and polished to balance the manliness of the lifting. Hmph.

Jason says to never end the class with a failed lift. I understand this. But I ended the class with a failed lift anyway. It doesn't bother me because I know I worked hard for the hour. Oly lifting isn't tiring like the met-con WODs, but there is muscle fatigue. I couldn't lift the 103# clean because I was in my head and I was fatigued. I knew I was fatigued when we scaled down the weight to 83# and couldn't do it. No big deal. I broke my PR by 10# and know that I can start at a heavier weight at my next attempt.

Also, I liked doing the progression when doing the clean. I did "Angela's shrug" twice before doing the actual lift. It helped a lot to do the shrug because it helps me mentally prepare. When you do a lift that requires a shrug, I always know when I've nailed it because there's a sweet spot that lets me know the lift is going to work. fathlete confession: I live for that sweet spot!

I went light on the front squat because I had to leave for Easter lunch. Also, Cheryl mentioned that it wasn't a good idea to do two heavy lifts back to back. (I agree that this was a good call.) I was glad to see Jason do the front squat because it gave me a better sense of how to hold (or not really hold) the bar.

No comments: