Tuesday, April 07, 2009

injuries

It's no secret that I've posted various injuries on this blog. If you've kept up over the years, you've seen photos of my stitched up knee, blistered feet, bruised toes, etc. What can I say. I have no shame. Shut up. Don't judge! ha ha! A few weeks ago, Cheryl T. did the CrossFit programming and we had to do some kettle bell work. As I've mentioned numerous times, I love kettle bell stuff. That is, as long as I know what the hell I'm doing. Let's say that during one of her WODs, I was a little clueless. By the time I nailed the kettle bell snatch, I was so tired that I ended up slamming the 18# on my forearms anyway. Hence the bruises in the photo. (Note: You may have to look really carefully. You know, lighting and all. If you look closely at my forearms, there is a large area that's discolored. That's the bruising from the kettle bells.)

I have to say that getting roughed up at CrossFit and working in cosmetics requires a delicate balance. I like my scars, but it's not exactly professional for what I do. I had to sport long sleeves for most of that weekend because it tends to freak out customers when you have visible injuries. Also, I'm kind of big on professional presentation standards. I'm not saying you have to look like a model in order to work in cosmetics. However, I think you do need to look like you 1) took a shower. 2) combed your hair. 3) smell good. It's pretty simple. You'd be surprised at how many people don't follow the simple rules. I'd go on, but I'll leave it at that.

Warm-up
Mia's jump rope warm-up (a.k.a. J-Ro's feeble attempt at battling it out with the rope. Sadly, the rope won. That bitch!)
Medicine ball clean mini-clinic

CrossFit One World WOD
Complete five rounds for time of:
Run 400m
Row 500m
You can run or row first....It sucks either way!

Joanne's Final Time - 28:31

Notes (to myself) about this workout: The last time I did this WOD was here. I'm happy to say that I shaved off almost a minute from my last row/run. Wa-hoo! It was tough and for the first time, I almost threw up at the end of the WOD. Bleh. My strategy for conquering this WOD was doing the row first. Everyone has her/his preference. For me, I like rowing first. 

Mia also gave a brief on POSE running. I don't know the contours on POSE running, but Mia said that we should focus on running with high knees. My running strategy was to do my normal pace until I passed the railroad tracks on the way back. From there, I focused on high knees. I need more work because I feel heavy on my feet, but I do feel that there is more speed. It's just a matter of practice and coordination from there.

For those of you who have ever been to a 7:15 class, we usually like to do silly things like have a theme day. Hence why we were pigtails in the photo here. Tonight was pink ribbon night. Unfortunately, Lisette, who thought of theme nights couldn't make it. Boo! Also, Eric called in sick, so theme night just wasn't the same. Oh well. I have plenty of ribbon left, so I'll make sure we have another pink ribbon night. Also, I'll post the only two photos I took tonight at some point. Moving on...

I think everyone did great tonight. Little Shannon was great on the row and rocked out on the ropes. Lori also did fantastic - especially on the ropes. Um, the ropes and I are currently not on speaking terms.

And that's that.

No comments: