Wednesday, May 13, 2009

blister!


In case you actually read this blog, I mentioned the blister scene in the film Run Fatboy Run in my last entry. Again, you all must watch it because it's hilarity and pure ridiculosity at its finest! I don't mean to spoil the blister scene for you, but here it is. The last line is so classic. I love it! Let me know what you all think!

I'm also in blister mode because I need a new pair of cross trainers. fathlete confession: My feet are uber-wide and flatter than a pancake. I have to use New Balance shoes because they come in a double wide for women. I've had the ones I'm using for a year now and they're losing their umph. I switched to an old (but great pair) of Brooks running shoes a few days ago. They're nice, but not quite wide enough. Right now, my left foot has a blister on the arch because of the friction. To cope, I've been using blister powder, which is why after a WOD, my feet look like they've been snorting coke. I was sad to see the New Balance store in Santana Row closed. In fact, it looks like all the local New Balance shoe stores are closed. Boo! What's a girl to do now?!

Warm-up
Watt rowing (Jason, you were kidding about pulling watt body weight, right? You realize that I have no desire to reveal or even lie about my body weight. In fact, I have no desire to know my body weight, let alone pull it in watts. Ya hear me?!)
stretching
pushing John W. away from the start line because he's cramping my space!

CrossFit One World WOD: Helen
Complete 3 rounds for time of:
Run 400m
21 kettlebell swings 35#
12 jumping pull-ups

Joanne's Final Time - 13:49

Notes (to myself) about this workout: My last Helen time was 15:21. All the other times I did Helen, it was with her fat sister. Bleh. I'm actually really proud of my time tonight. Granted, I was still the slowest one in class and probably in the box, but as long as I beat my own time, I'm good.

When I've done Helen in the past, I usually break up the movements. When she and I first met, I did the KB swings in 7/7/7. I then moved to 11/10. Tonight I did 15/6. With the pull-ups, I usually did 4/4/4 or 6/6. Tonight in the first round I think I did 10/2 then 6/6 for the other two rounds. I'm trying to work on my kip for the pull-up so instead of just jumping straight up, I did them with the kip, which takes me a little longer. Ideally I'd like to do the movements straight through. In fact, I wasn't really banking on breaking the movements the way I did tonight. But the damn pressure was on. Bleh! After the WOD I got that forearm burn that I've heard people talk about. They're right. The forearm burn sucks!

I was surprised to see so many guys in the 7:15 class. Okay. If there are ever more than two men (including the instructor) in class, I consider that a lot. Tonight it was me, Settie, and Lori accompanied by Chris S., John W., Chris L., Alex (for the first round) and Imran (along with Will B., Eric, and Jason K. cheering us on). See what I mean by male overload? I don't mean to be selfish, but I kind of prefer that there are more women. The guys' intensity just throws me off and makes me feel inadequate. But that's me, not the guys. Okay. I'll shut up now.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE working out with a bunch of hot, half naked men who look like the cast of 300. I just don't like the idea of them watching me suffer. My suffering is so not sexy. Make sense? Okay. I'll really shut up now.

No comments: