Wednesday, May 27, 2009

pure hilarity!

As promised, I'm posting this total blast from the past. This is me years ago doing a squat clean. Look carefully. I'm sweating like a guilty criminal in the interrogation room and I'm in a full squat position, which makes me think that I'm either posing or the weight is heavy for me. The real clincher about this photo is that I'm squat cleaning only 25#. ha ha ha! (Note: Though my squat rocks, my elbows need to be forward way more. Bad form, j-ro!)

And why is this so funny? Because my current max on a squat clean is 93# and during any weightlifting WOD, I always start with a 33# bar. (In fact, I think I've been banned from using the 15# bars!) Jason K. would be very disappointed with this photo. He always pokes fun at me because I'm always lifting way less than I should be. Go hard or go home. I get it Jason K.! Oooh! I'm totally looking forward to learning how to play lacrosse this summer!

Warm-up
Prepping for the WOD

CrossFit One World WOD
TEN rounds for time of:
5 handstand push-ups (modified on bands for round 1, then switched to the box)
5 box jumps (I graduated to the red box)
5 L pull-ups (modified to hanging L - leg raises)

Joanne's Final Time - 14:54

Notes (to myself) about this workout: I came in with the intention of running the 5K. It was a rest day and usually, we get to choose the WOD. I'm also of the mindset that if the instructor has something she/he wants to do, then she/he is at liberty to conduct the class as she/he sees fit. Jason K. (whose classes I adore; from here on out, every class that I take with Jason shall begin with hearts and praises ha ha!) gave Settie and I the option to run or to do a "10-15 minute WOD" of his choice. It sounds easy. But you have to understand that the shorter the WOD, the more agonizing it is. Settie and I chose to be stupid...

The handstand push-ups (HSPU) are the worst for me. Anything where I have to carry body weight is tough because I'm just so damn heavy! I liked the modification on the bands, but for now, I'm just going to work on holding the position. I have a hard time doing the actual push-up.

Jason K. tried to get me to jump the 24" box and I just couldn't do it. It is a mind thing. But I also know I just can't jump that high. For now, I'm deleting the blue 12" box from my arsenal and will tough out the 18" red box for the high rep box jumps. If it's a low rep WOD like today's, I'll do the 20" box. I tried the 24" box tonight, but I ended up slipping. Another mark on the hall of fame for me. Bleh.

I can't do a pull-up, much less an L-pull-up. What I like about Jason K.'s modifications is that they're really functional and are a build up to the actual movement. My hands are torn up, but I have a sense of the L.

In retrospect, I'm glad we did the WOD where I couldn't do any of the movements and had to scale down like a mo-fo. Reason being is that I now have an idea of how to do and develop these skill sets. Wa-hoo!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You shoulda put up a before/after picture...you've come a long way girl!!

Luvs ya!
Settie

j-ro said...

Thanks Settie. I know. The next time we do a WOD with the clean, I'll be sure to take photos. (Er. Um. You're probably going to be the one to take them.) This photo still cracks me up. Like, I'm totally getting some sweat on, right?! ha ha!