Thursday, June 25, 2009

love the bags

Ah, gone are the days when I used to give these bags a good beating. In case you're unfamiliar with my workout genealogy, I always liked exercise in some form. I think I probably stated with some Kathy Smith workout tape and went from there. The first gym workout I ever took seriously was cardio kickboxing. This was way back when I lived in Santa Barbara and Tae Bo was en vogue. From there I just progressed. I have green belts in both Krav Maga and Tae Kwon Do. (Bet you never guessed that, did you?!) Admittedly, I miss kicking and punching the bags and such. Thing is, the impact totally wrecks my body and sometimes I just feel a little too o-l-d to do that stuff. Well, maybe one day I'll pick up the bag work again. I still have my gear!

Oooh! For those of you who are into The Biggest Loser, you might like this article about Jillian's eating habits. What did I take from the article? Eat dark chocolate everyday! Yeah!

Warm-up
Doing inappropriate things to John W. because well, he asked for it. (Seriously. He did.) Then repeating those inappropriate things because Allison wanted to take a photo. (Seriously. She did.) fathlete confession: It's all about the photo op.

When I was done with the pre-obscene 7:15 shenanigans, I started today by doing the Back Squat Challenge. It looked like this:
5 - 45# back squats
5 - 75# back squats
20 - 85# back squats
(Note: This is why I was slightly late for 7:15)

...And then there was Eric's warm-up
Row 200 meters
10 squats
Row 200 meters
10 lunge steps
Row 200 meters
overhead squats with dowel

CrossFit One World WOD: "Finish What You Started"
Complete the following for time:
Run 400m
30 squats
Run 400m
30 lunge steps
Run 400m
30 overhead squats (with dowel)
Run 400m
30 lunge steps
Run 400m
30 squats
Run 400m

Joanne's Final Time - 24:10

Notes (to myself) about this workout: I was dreading this WOD because I knew it would wreck me from the waist down. As I've mentioned before, I've been feeling under because of the allergies and coughing and such. I ran yesterday and it was fine (sort of). I knew today would be tough, but I was willing to stick with it. And I did.

What made tonight tough was that I had a quad injury that I didn't realize I had. Granted, it was bothering me slightly all week. I think my body was so focused on the coughing and such, that I just didn't notice the quad injury. During the warm-up when we were doing the lunge steps, I could barely do the actual lunge. A sharp pain just started shooting up my thigh. It was insane!

So what did I do?!

I did the WOD anyway. (Stupid girl!)

I could feel a little pain when I ran, but it was really bad during the lunges, so I opted to modify them to ease the pain. When the WOD was done I stretched and stretched and stretched. Bleh. It's over. I did it. I want to eat my dinner now.

I'm sure that like many, you're probably mourning the loss of the lovely Farrah Fawcett and the legendary Michael Jackson. Below is one of my favorite songs/videos because along with being an MJ fan, I'm also a huge fan of his little sis Janet. Enjoy!

No comments: