Monday, July 13, 2009

cowgirl up!

This is me (the chick sporting the pigtails, cowgirl hat, and sunglasses), Mel (the chick in the middle who also decided to sport the pigtails), and Settie (sans pigtails) right before the affiliate challenge at the CrossFit games this past Friday. We were warned that the day may get a little warm, so I decided to buy a hat. Unfortunately, I have a really big head and this was the only cheap hat I could find that actually fit. Um. I've decided that I'm going to keep the hat and start sporting it a little more. I kinda like the cowgirl look. (p.s. Thanks to John W. for taking this photo.)

Warm-up
Row 500 meters
Prep for the WOD

CrossFit One World WOD
Complete three rounds for time of:
30 squat snatches 33#
30 wall balls 10#

Joanne's Final Time - 29:12

Notes (to myself) about this workout: When I saw this WOD posted, I knew it was one of the WODs from the CrossFit games. It looked deceivingly do-able. But when I got to the gym and saw people crawling on the floor, I knew that there was way more to it than was posted. The rx'd women's weight was 45# on the snatch and 14# on the wall balls, both of which I can do. However, when you realize that you're doing 90 reps total, then we're getting into a little bit of trouble here.

Freddy wanted the wall balls to clear a certain point, so I scaled down to 10#. Even with scaling down, I could not for the life of me clear the green. Bleh. Oh well. I did throw it higher than I normally do, so I was happy with that. In truth, a part of me wished I just stuck with 14# because I wasn't clearing the green anyway.

The tough part of this was the snatch. First off, if you don't know how to do it or are not used to it, the snatch is one bitch of a lift! Here's a lesson for all you CrossFit newbies... there is no reason to RX something that you don't have a handle on. There have been a few newbies that have been RX-ing the stuff, only to find that they have to scale down in the middle of the WOD, and then end up sore as hell or injured the next day. Yes, most of these newbies are usually male. So here's my fathlete schtick: Gentlemen, your penis size will be as small as it always was regardless of whether you RX the WOD or not. Scale your shit down and then work your way up! Got it? Claro? Comprende? Si? Good! Moving on...

The tough thing about the snatch is that it is a total body lift that requires a tight core. Add in the squat, and your legs are FRIED! Though I can do a 45# snatch, to do 90 of them is just pure hell. Plus wall balls? You're just deeper into the pits, you know? If you were smart (or new) you should have scaled down a bit just to get the full feel of the movement. The WOD was deceptively tough, but I got through it in under a half hour. Wa-hoo!

2 comments:

maria said...

j-ro! you hit it right on the nose with that comment to males!! I love your blog!

j-ro said...

Thanks Maria!

Yeah. It just had to be said...