Thursday, July 02, 2009

happy birthday, mom!

Today is my mom's birthday and she turned the big 7-0. It's quite a milestone, despite whatever she may think. In usual fashion, my mom spent her birthday in a very low-key way. Cooking. Spending time with her family. Watching TFC. Admittedly, my mom and I aren't that close, but our relationship makes sense to the both of us. I love her dearly and thank lady fate for every day I have my mother in my life. Happy birthday mom! For all that you are and all that you bring into our lives. Cheers! (Note: This photo was taken when my mom was a teenager growing up in the Philippines. I love old back and whites!)

Yes, I mentioned that my dad's birthday was yesterday. I always thought it was cute that they had back-to-back birthdays. Though he passed away back in 1987, not a day goes by when I don't think about him. It's tough to loose your dad at the age of eleven. The circumstances of his passing were unfortunate and they still haunt me to this day. When you loose a parent that young it's hard because you didn't have a lot of time with them. You didn't get to know them and they didn't get to know you. This is what makes loosing my dad difficult. I didn't get to really know him.

As an adult, all I have are the memories and the stories, all of which make sense in my head, regardless of how obscure others may think they are. I miss my dad's obsession with all things "American." I remember his insane love for McDonald's filet-o-fish (because no one is too good to have some McDonald's filet-o-fish). I also remember the little candies or coins he'd give me just for opening the door when he came back from work. I remember him always packing me pop tarts for lunch when I was in kindergarden. Seriously. I had pop tarts EVERY.DAY. I used to try to hand them off to my uncle Jun, but with very little success. (Note: This is why I have a love/hate relationship with pop tarts.) I miss his thrift and practical sense and often wish he left me with some of it. Most of all, I just miss him and would give anything to know what it would be like to grow up with him - even if it meant we fought everyday. Given both of our stubborn natures, that may very well have been a certainty.

Anyway... a big happy birthday to both of my parents!

Warm-up
Run 1.1 miles

CrossFit One World WOD: Back Squat Challenge
10 - 45# back squats
5 - 75# back squats
5 - 85# back squats
20 - 95# back squats

Cheering on Settie as she does her back squat challenge. Kudos girl!

Stretching.

Notes (to myself) about this workout: Technically, today was a rest day, so I took it light. The back squat challenge, though I'm in week two of eight, is getting really hard now. I don't know how I'm going to tackle to 100# plus mark. Bleh. I'm glad I made it through. Everyone at the gym was really helpful.

In particular, I want to give a special shout out to our newest CrossFitter, Jerry L. I watched him push through some big squat cleans today. Awesome work! Also, it was great to watch Eric guide him through those cleans. Coaching really makes a difference. I say Jerry L. owes Eric some ice cream. ha ha!

No comments: