Tuesday, July 21, 2009

you're kidding, right?

The woman pictured here is actress Sharon Leal. I like this actress. It's partly because she's one of few visible Filipina actresses in popular media today. That's right. I blew her cover. She's part Filipina and grew up in a Filipino household. My friend Margaret sent me this article from Allure magazine. The basis of this article is was to photograph six female entertainers and talk to them about their bodies, self esteem, and having to pose in the nude. fathlete bitch rant: I understand what the people at Allure are trying to do. But seriously. Conventionally beautiful nude women who are airbrushed?! My dearest Allure Magazine, if you wanted to have a relatable story about these women having the same body issues as everyone else, then do me this favor.... Show these women with stretch marks, cellulite, and actual pubic hair. Send your readers the message that such things are perfectly normal. Do that, and I may have to subscribe. Thank you.

Warm-up
Run 800 meters
Stretching
Prep for the WOD

CrossFit One World WOD
Complete two rounds of the following for time:
30 left arm kettle bell swings 25#
30 lunge steps with a plate held overhead 25#
30 right arm kettle bell swings
30 lunge steps with a plate held overhead

Joanne's Final Time - 18:32

Notes (to myself) about this workout: I rx'd this WOD today. Wa-hoo! The one handed KB swings were tough, but I made it through. I did most of the WOD in sets of 10. Bleh.

Oh yes. By the way. Kudos! Jason K. made Jerry L.'s butt hurt. You figure that one out.

4 comments:

maria said...

Hey girl!
Does your ass hurt as much as mine after that KB-OH walking lunge steps with the plate weight wod?!!

Allure...yes, I use to buy their magazines....but, they became too trashy. Trashy fake airbrushing combined with trashy semi-nude poses. I have nothing against the models -well, except I want to yell for them to "EAT"!!!

Okay girl. I didn't mean to rant. You caught me in the mood. I love your chronicles! Keep up the great thoughts!

j-ro said...

Hi Maria!

I LOVE that you read the chronicles! Rant all you want, that's what this is here for;)

Yes, my ass still hurts from yesterday. So do my shoulders and upper back. What did I do to make it feel better? I ran 5K today. Silly CrossFitter!

At least you're nice to the models. I just want to throw pork and cake at them and then see what happens. ha ha!

warrior said...

diana says that sharon leal is not "genetically" filipino, that she was raised by adoptive parents who are filipino. what's the verdict?

j-ro said...

Sharon Leal's mother if Filipina. Everything I've ever read about her points to her having a Filipina mom. The only thing that refutes this is wikipedia. But that's according to the stuff I've read. Also, she had a major story in Preview, one of the magazines in the Philippines and she talked about growing up Filipino and such... But believe what you want.