Tuesday, August 18, 2009

all grown up

A few days ago, Freddy posted this photo of our very own Lara sporting some very stylish leggings. I had the pleasure of spending some time with her this weekend (over some mediocre tacos and frozen yogurt; for the record, Pinkberry is totally overrated. Stick with So Frais folks!). She showed me this photo of hers and viola! It appeared on the One World site. Since she showed me her photo, I thought I would be cheating by ratting out who the mysterious One Worlder is. To be fair, I did announce that the little gal in the photo was the creator of the "Ass and Abs" WOD. It took me over 30 minutes to finish. I don't ever want to do it again.

Ah the good old days (April 2007) when five ladies of One World were asked to design a WOD and give a photo for the day's post. There are five signature WODs that were created by the One World CrossFit ladies of the moment: Lara, Jolie, Caroline, Stef and me. My WOD was inspired by the film 300 and my love of running. I think it's time the box did us again. Yes. I'd love the honor of saying that a whole bunch of hotties did me today. ha ha! (I'd like the chance to modify my signature WOD by replacing the D-ball slams with pull-ups.) Or maybe we can have another ladies week and other ladies such as Cheryl, Jamie, Rita, and the twins Mary and Maria can design a WOD. Those are some ladies I'd love to do at the box;)

This was the photo for Lara's WOD. In case any of you ever wanted to know what is the most looked at page on this blog, it's usually any page that features Lara. Seriously. That hottie has some major cyberstalkers. And I'm talking the international kind. Lara has fans in Germany, France, and other parts of the world. These people love to gaze at her hot abs. (Yeah cyberstalkers, I'm on to you and your Lara stalking ways!) All I can say is that cute little girl in the leggings definitely grew up to be one lovely lady!

In non Lara news, my dear friend Judy Chong, who runs Fitness Spark, posted this controversial article from Time magazine that talks about why exercise will not make you lose weight. Judy's rebuttal is here. (I hope you can access it even if you're not on facebook. If not, let me know and I'll email you the article.) Another rebuttal to the article is here. Though I haven't been able to give the articles a thorough read, I figure it's worth sharing the info. Enjoy!

Warm-up
Two rounds of:
Row 500 meters
Run 400 meters
Prep for the WOD

CrossFit One World WOD
Complete 21/15/9 reps for time of:
Overhead squats 58#
Burpees

Joanne's Final Time - 13:22

Notes (to myself) about this workout: Someone needs to explain something to me... On the website, it says that the WOD was 15/12/9 reps but I'm pretty sure I did 21/15/9 reps of this WOD. Am I crazy or what?!

How I broke up the OH squat reps:
11/9/1
5/5/5
6/3

This was a hard WOD. It's a rare occasion when I can say that I'm proud of my performance. Tonight is one of those nights. For as much as I love squats, the overhead squat isn't my thing. In fact, any overhead movement isn't my thing yet. This is because I don't do this movement very often. I just need to work on technique. The most I've done on an overhead squat is 53#, so to do 58# for 45 reps was a gift. My sense is that I really need to work on form because I know I can actually lift more than 58#. With better form and focus, I know I have another 10-15# for that many reps in me.

For the burpees, my focus was to do a solid push-up. Though I could feel myself do the snake thing, I think I did better than usual on the burpees.

To address my overhead squat issue, I've asked Raz to order me a set of wrist straps. I'm also working on stretching my forearms better. Finally, I'm considering doing a modified overhead squat challenge. Let's see what I've got time for.

1 comment:

warrior said...

to continue the TIME magazine article debate
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/08/27/MN4M19BELM.DTL