Tuesday, October 13, 2009

kudos

I just wanted to give some kudos to some people that I absolutely adore. First off is Jerry L. He and some friends just launched a website called The Zen Capitalist. It's a site that gives financial advice to those of you who are trying to balance your social and financial lives. Jerry also received his CrossFit Level 1 certification earlier this month. Congrats! You're on your way to becoming one of those cool CrossFit coaches. In fact, I'm going to call it right now.... In the next few years, I think Jerry is going to be on the CrossFit HQ team. You've got the potential... now go do it!

My next batch of kudos goes to Miss Settie. If there's anything you'll know about this woman, it's that she has a lot of fight in her. She really pushes her limits and it's always an honor to watch her work through the WOD. She did an amazing job today with The Bear. I was especially impressed because she's been out of commission for a while, so to come back to The Bear was no easy task. I'm proud of you, Settie!

Finally, kudos goes to Tom (who is not pictured). I know he struggles with CrossFit. All I have to say that is everyone struggles with CrossFit. My advice is to just stick with it. Be brave enough to f--k up. And work those hips!

Here's some random news.... There's been this huge hub-bub about this Ralph Lauren ad where the model is photoshopped so much that her head is bigger than her hips. Whaaat?! Speak on it, peanut gallery! Also, Marie Claire now has a plus-size columnist named Ashley Falcon. (Thanks to Margaret F. for sending me the link.) I really like what Falcon has to say in this column. Enjoy!

Finally, Sunday was a very sad day for me. My favorite show Drop Dead Diva just wrapped up its first season. Sigh. How long am I going to have to wait for season two?! Argggh! Here's a teaser for the finale for you:


Warm-up
Row 500 meters
Prep for WOD

CrossFit One World WOD: The Bear Complex
A sequence of The Bear Complex is:
Power clean
Front squat
Push press
Back squat
Push press

You will perform seven sequences in a row to constitute one round. You may rest at any point during a sequence except when the bar touches the ground. The bar is touch and go when it is on the ground. Perform five rounds. Rest as needed between attempts. You are shooting for max weight in last round.

Joanne's Final Weight - 53/63/68/73/78

Notes (to myself) about this workout: I PR'd my last bear by 5#. That's all I can ask for. Damn you Freddy for throwing off my mojo! I had to do the 78# set twice. On the fifth rep, I forgot to do the back squat before doing the push press because I was focusing on Freddy's coaching (I was having trouble with that transition). Frustrated, I dropped the weight, took a rest, and started all over. I'm okay now....

No comments: