Tuesday, November 10, 2009

rest in peace

Apologies for being out of commission. I've been crazy busy and a little lazy. For now, I'm blaming the weather. With that, this is going to be a big post. First off, I need to bid farewell to my ipod shuffle. (I have a silver one. I'd like to have a purple one, but they don't make them anymore.) It's been fritzing out on me lately and I think it's nearing it's final leg. I have no complaints. It was a Christmas gift from an ex and I've had it for almost three years. My shuffle has taken me through many sweaty hours of working out and it's finally throwing in the towel. Farewell, my dear shuffle. (tears)

Problem is, I need a new shuffle because I can't function at the gym without one. In truth I can't stand the new shuffle! You have to use the headphones that come with the package. If you're like me and you want to use your own headphones (I swear by the air drives), you have to buy an adapter for another $30. It's just not economical - especially since the adaptor doesn't seem to work very well anyway. Right now, I hate apple for their stupidity on this one. When this new shuffle first came out, I thought for sure they'd fix the kinks with this new launch. Did they?! Nope. Bastards! Moving on...

Here are some interesting articles I thought you'd like to take a peek at. First off, in case you were looking for an excuse to cut your soda intake, check out this article. It explains that sodas give the body excess sugar it doesn't need and ends up storing it as fat. It also talks about why diet soda is a no-no because there is a greater chance of one having more belly fat. Finally, the carbonation depletes calcium. I'm not big on soda. I'll have one on occasion, but that's it. In middle school we did this science experiment where you take a chicken bone and put it in a cup of soda. After a day the bone completely breaks down, leaving only the cartilage. Ew! It's a great visual of why one should not have soda.

Recently, I confessed my love for Mark's Daily Apple and mentioned an article he wrote about food and depression. Here's another article that talks about the relationship between processed food and depression. I'm amazed at how much food makes a difference. Again, if you're looking for an excuse to eat clean or are looking for alternatives to depression meds, here you go!

The last article I'm sharing is near and dear to my heart. It's about slow runners. Yeah. That's me. Woot!

Finally, I wanted to share a few youtube videos I saw posted on facebook. They're tongue-in-cheek commentaries about CrossFit. I think they're hilarious. Rumor has it that some CrossFit higher ups didn't appreciate them. I say have a sense of humor. If you're spoof-able, you must be doing something right. In fact, the first video spoofs our very own Freddy C. Enjoy!




Warm-up
Run 400 meters
stretching
prep for WOD

CrossFit One World WOD: The Filthy Fifty
Complete the following for time:
50 box jumps 12"
50 jumping pull-ups
50 kettlebell swings 25#
50 walking lunge steps
50 knees to elbows
50 push press 33#
50 GHD hip extensions
50 wall balls 10# because Jason wanted it to touch the grey box
50 burpees
100 rope rotations

Joanne's Final Time - 46:27

Notes (to myself) about this workout: First off, I should note that I did a light workout yesterday with Miss Lara. I didn't give it its own post because the WOD was light. We ran 1.1 miles, and then walked 2.2 miles because we needed to catch up with each other. It's always nice to spend time with Miss Lara.

As for today's WOD, I didn't beat my last time. It's okay. I'm just glad I got through the WOD. The Filthy Fifty always sucks!

No comments: