Monday, January 11, 2010

bday greetings!

Happy Birthday to my nephew, Theo! He turns the big 1-7 today. Woot! It seems like it was just yesterday when he was a little baby. Here's a video of him from this weekend. His team was down 5-2 when he made this penalty shot. His team ended up winning 6-5. Enjoy!



The Fathlete’s Guide to Surviving the Look Better Naked Challenge

Have a plan! Stick to it as best as you can. For example, if you’re going out to a restaurant with friends, go online and check out the menu so that you know what to order in advance. Believe me, no one notices what you order. (That is, unless you’re a vegan. or and asshole. or both. just kidding. but not really. cheeky grin.) In social gatherings, it’s not a matter of what you eat. It’s the kind of company you are.


Planning means that you’ll have to figure out what you’re going to eat for the day or for the week. Prep accordingly. I pick two days out of the week where I’m going to cook 1-3 major meals that will last me. (I get bored with food very quickly.) Pack more lunches and cook more. If you're going to a social gathering where there won't be a lot of paleo options, it's a good idea to bring at least one dish you know you can eat. Again, people always appreciate a healthy dish.


Today's Small Victories
1) I survived the Filipino buffet (sort of). I bypassed the rice, lumpia, pancit and the desserts. I did great until I realized that kare-kare has peanuts! This is my first non-primal meal since Jan 2nd. I'm not sweating it. The peanut content is hardly worth mentioning. Things could have been worse. I could be a tray of lumpia fatter!

2) Today is my nephew's birthday. I was stuck at their house alone for about twenty minutes with a HUGE Mrs. Fields cookie-cake, a pot of hot rice, and an abundant supply of bread and butter. Amazingly, I didn't touch any of these delights. Instead, I ate the salad that I packed and had a little cheese (I still do dairy. MDA says it's okay.) while waiting patiently for my sister and her family to some home. Again, this could have been a disaster. I could have eaten a cookie sandwich stuffed with rice, dipped in sourdough bread, and butter. Um, did I mention this happened after today's WOD when I was famished?! Monuments should be erected in my honor for exercising such self control!

CrossFit One World WOD
Strength-
Back Squat 5/5/5
135/155/160 (5#PR!)

Press 5/5/5
50/60/60 (I did a 70# attempt, but failed)

Stretching

Metcon-
Complete 30 wall balls for time (12#). Rest 1 minute. Repeat for a total of four attempts.

Joanne's Final Time - 1:33/1:40/2:00/2:06

Notes (to myself) about this workout: I agree with the twins... wall balls are not for the vertically challenged! I usually do 14#, but Freddy really wanted us to hit the 10' mark. That's why I dropped down to 12#. I like to think I hit most of the reps at the mark. I'm not sure. It was hard to tell because there was a rope in my way and I wasn't directly under a grey box. The key to wall balls is having a good breathing rhythm. Tonight I just felt a little off and I think my rest time was too long. I need to push next time. I also need to avoid working out next to Louie and Andy.

My press was off today. Again, I'm not into the heavy lifting as a warm-up, but I'll hang in there as best as I can.

No comments: