Wednesday, January 27, 2010

not so taco

The other weekend, my dear friend Fritzie was visiting me. Being on the challenge and entertaining your friends can be a little tricky. I don't think it's ethical for me to make Fritzie eat paleo for a weekend. Therefore, cooking needs to satisfy both of our sensibilities. Hence, the photo. That weekend I was craving tacos. I made taco meat the way I always do, but instead of eating them in a tortilla (which I made for Fritzie), I had mine over a bed of sunchokes, topped with lettuce, salsa, and other fresh goods. It was delicious. Oh yeah. I had my meal with a side of watermelon radish. Yummy!

Switching to paleo/primal is an adjustment because you're altering your regular eating habits. For me, the biggest challenge is not having rice, tortillas, and other processed carbs. There's not a lot one can do to replace them. You just have to figure out how to go without them. I met a nutritionist at the MDA seminar last month and she said that it's pointless to try to "trick" your body into "thinking" it's eating rice or noodles by buying the "fake" versions of these things. You simply have to adjust your sensibilities. My approach is trying to train myself to think differently. I like eating a taco with an actual tortilla. It's nothing like eating it with sunchokes. However, it's a compromise that works. For me, the star of the taco is the meat. Eaten this way, I haven't lost my star. Make sense? Moving on, here are some articles you might be interested in:

Gluten: What You Don't Know Might Kill You
Why Soy is Bad for You
17 Reasons You’re Not Losing Weight

Today's Small Victories
1) Today was a teaching day. I managed to stay primal.
2) I had lunch with my sister at Toppings. I LOVE their java rice. There was a pile of that stuff on my plate. But I didn't have any. Nothing. Not even a single bite!
3) I'm definitely getting better at going primal with Filipino food. Woot!

Warm-up
Run 800 meters
Stretching

CrossFit One World WOD
For 20 minutes, row for one minute and rest for one minute. Try to reach 2500 meters. For every 5 meters under 2500 meters, do one burpee.

Joanne's Final Count - 2466 meters; 7 burpees

Notes (to myself) about this workout: Since Atsushi did 3016 meters (the men's rx was 3000), he shared his excess meters, making it so that I only had to do 6 burpees instead of 7. Thanks Sushi. You're the best! Just for that, I promise I won't post that photo where it looks like you're humping a newspaper box. ha ha!

Can I just give myself a great big pat on my back?! I did awesome today! Looking at the board, I thought for sure I'd be at least in the 30 burpee range. I HATE burpees, so I told myself that I would aim for 250 meters per round. To my surprise, I didn't hit below the 250 meter mark until about round five. By the time we finished, I knew I'd only have to do about 10 burpees. Having to do only 7 (technically 6) was a total gift.

I think I'm getting better at the row and am getting the hang of pulling harder, not faster. My row still needs work, but I'm so happy about my results tonight. Yea!

No comments: