Tuesday, July 27, 2010

happy birthday brad!

If there is one person who puts an automatic smile on my face, it's Bradass! Today is his birthday. fathlete confession: The only reason why I have the capacity to remember his birthday is (1) facebook tells me it's his bday and (2) his bday is the day before my sister's bday. Either way, HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRAD! Hope you and the family celebrate in the most fabulous way!

On another note, my niece sent me this AMAZING video of Incubus doing a cover of Duran Duran's Hungry Like the Wolf. In case you don't know, I am a HUGE Duran Duran fan and have just about every song they have ever recorded on my ipod. When in college, Incubus was one of my favorite bands. In fact, one of my dear college friends went to high school with Brandon, their lead singer. I've always loved how socially conscious Incubus has been as a band. In particular, they totally won me over a few years ago when they started a donation link on their website for the typhoon victims in the Pacific. Needless to say, the video below is a total treat!


Today's Small Victories
I think something went wrong with the diabetes meds today. I may have doubled the dosage without realizing it. In the late afternoon I completely conked out and barely made it to the gym. However, I pushed and got my ass to the box. Wa-hoo!

Warm-up
Row 500 meters - two rounds. The second round should be at least 10 seconds faster than the first round. My first round was 2:28; second round was 2:09.

CrossFit One World WOD
Strength: OFF

Conditioning:
Complete as many rounds in 12 minutes of:
5 deadlifts 165#
Run 100m
10 pistols (band assisted one-legged squats)
Run 100m
You can do the pistols all on one leg or alternate legs. The choice is yours. Use a band or some sort of side support to sub for the pistols.

Joanne's Final Count - 3 rounds +1st 100 meter run

Notes (to myself) about this workout:
I'm still trying to ease into the WODs. This was a great workout because it was challenging, but I still got a good workout in without getting injured. I also ended the WOD with 5 minutes of jump rope work. Yea!

Finally, some food for thought for you.... Many of you may be familiar with the United Farmworkers Union (UFW) led by Cesar Chavez. However, did you know that it was actually started by Filipino farmworkers? Sadly, it's a forgotten history (of which I have very strong feelings about). Luckily, someone created this documentary. I hope you enjoy the trailer.

The Delano Manongs from Media Factory on Vimeo.

No comments: