Wednesday, August 18, 2010

33# and 40 Plus

This is Lori next to two 33# bars. See? One of these bars is not like the other. One of these bars is not the same.

Lori is demonstrating why some people (present company included) get confused with the 33# bars. Not all of them have the same ring size... so shut it!
This is my dear friend Lori demonstrating the mystery of the 33# bar. One of the things Freddy likes to give Lori shit for is picking the wrong bar. Sometimes Lori means to pick up the 33# bar, but ends up with the 22#  or 45# bar. According to Freddy, all you have to do is look at the ring size and bar height to figure it out. Well HELLO! Here's living proof that the 33# bars have two different rings. Now shut it! (heh!)


In other news, I'd like to give a big shout out to Miss Maria C. for her feature on Freddy's new One World 40 Plus blog. I adore Maria to no end. Though I don't get to train with her very much, it's always a pleasure to watch her attack the WODs. She's consistent, strong, and fierce! Such a true inspiration!

Today's Small Victories
I've been really good at making my "morning medicine" lately. I'll explain what that is in another post. Just know that I'm on a personal quest to incorporate more greens into my diet. I invested in a machine that would help me do this. So far, it's working!

Warm-up

CrossFit One World WOD
Strength:
Deadlift 3 reps on the minute for 8 minutes 155#

Conditioning:
Row 1000m. Rest one minute and repeat for a total of 5000m.

Joanne's Final Time - 4:41 / 4:49 / 4:54 / 4:56 / 4:54

Notes (to myself) about this workout:
We ended up doing this WOD in reverse, starting with conditioning and ending with strength. I was very happy with my performance on the row because my goal was to hit under five minutes for each 1000 meter row. In order to do this, I had to aim for under 2:30 on the /500 meter count. If you look closely, my numbers aren't too far off from each other. I managed to get into a rhythm and that's what made me consistent. Also, I noticed that I can get 100 meters in 11 strokes. Before, it used to take me 14-15 strokes per 100 meters. The key to the row is timing and strength - not speed. This is where most people mess up and tire out. A WOD like this is a perfect chance to work on form (especially if you don't really care about time). I noticed that if I pulled hard, really engaged my legs, and took a pause, I wouldn't be as tired as I normally would. It also made the numbers go down faster. I still have trouble with my row because of my height, but I do think that a shorter person can get a good row time with strength.

As for the deadlift, I shouldn't have been a pansy and lifted at least 165#, up to 175#. Thing is, I don't like biting off more than I can chew. I was also concerned with potential back issues because of the row and then having to do the deadlift. The deadlift and I haven't been getting along these days. For future reference, I should add a little more weight. I'm not too mad about it because I know that tomorrow morning my back will thank me for it;P

2 comments:

maria said...

J-Ro!
You are the one who is the true inspiration! Your words of gentle wisdom! Sometimes gently applied with a sledge hammer! -JK!
Thank you for your kind words!
The shoes you profiled...wow...love them if i want to do wall balls! Makes it easier for the vertically challenged!
I love what you've done with your site! It is so ZEN!

j-ro said...

"Your words of gentle wisdom! Sometimes gently applied with a sledge hammer!"

I love it, Maria! That definitely sounds like me. ;D

Yes. Four inch heels perfectly balanced on a 1.5-inch platform while doing wall balls are both efficient and sexy... 'cuz that's how I roll;P