Friday, December 10, 2010

feed your mind

In the spirit of holiday giving fathlete style, I have decided to dedicate today's post to reading material you can share with you and yours. First up is Robb Wolf's The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet. I downloaded the kindle edition and have been reading through it slowly. So far, so good. Wolf is a great writer and he makes the science stuff easy to understand. fathlete confession: I ordered four copies of this to give as gifts. I'm wondering if I should have ordered more. Gah!
As you already know, I'm a huge fan of Mark Sisson and his blog Mark's Daily Apple (MDA). If you don't have a copy, I recommend picking up (and gifting) The Primal Blueprint. If you're extra generous or want to give something to your favorite wannabe chefs, then definitely pick up a copy of The Primal Blueprint Cookbook. I own both and am looking forward to putting them to good use! fathlete confession: I'm thinking that my next health challenge will have something to do with a primal/paleo cooking challenge.

These last two gift ideas come from Balanced Bites, a website run by Diane Sanfilippo. Personally, I downloaded The 21 Day Sugar Detox when we were doing the LBN Challenge. I like how user friendly it is and the lists are really helpful! Sanfilippo just released a new book, Practical Paleo Nutrition Guide Book, which I just downloaded!


Wednesday, December 8th
One hour of yoga. And then...

CrossFit One World WOD
Complete five rounds for time of:
5 hang squat cleans 63#
10 hip extensions
15 box jumps (12")

Joanne's Final Time - 13:20

Notes (to myself) about this workout:
Yoga was awesome. It was harder than usual, but I really loved it! For the WOD, I was really thankful to get some help from Angela. I'm not good at the clean, so to have her watch my form was helpful. (Yeah. I need to do a better job at "bumping" the bar.) I kept it light because my shoulders are kinda wrecked.

Thursday, December 9th
One hour of spin. And then...

CrossFit One World WOD: Blame Brad
Complete the following for time:
10 ring dips (band assisted)
20 pull-ups (band assisted)
30 kettlebell swings 25#
40 barbell push press press 33#
50 med ball cleans 10#
150 jump rope skips
50 med ball cleans
40 barbell push press
30 kettlebell swings
20 pull-ups (band assisted)
10 ring dips (band assisted)

Joanne's Final Time - 24:01

Notes (to myself) about this workout: Spin was really rough this morning. I've never done that many isolations in one class. OMG! There was a lot of buzz about the One World WOD because it was the longest of the week. fathlete confession: It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Then again, my shoulder is quite tweaky and I had to go lighter on some things. The good thing is that I maintained full range of motion in all my movements. The pull-up is still tricky for me, but I am s-l-o-w-l-y getting there. Yea.

Finally, this WOD was workout #30 for me. Yes, I finished my challenge. Thirty workouts, thirty days, hello to the big 3-5!

1 comment:

maria_nice twin said...

Happy Birthday, J-Ro and Lori!
You two are such beautiful, sassy women! Thanks for letting me celebrate your b-days! I had an awesome time eating all of the delicious food! WOW!!!
The evil twin wishes she could have been there. She devoured the left over hock(?)leg I took home! Trust me...it was a big fight for the left over. She won for once. I think I have a bite mark on my forearm!
Lots of Love!
P.S. I want pics of busta cup Ange in lululemon (?) can't spell it.